- RSS Channel Showcase 8435346
- RSS Channel Showcase 1028529
- RSS Channel Showcase 6635967
- RSS Channel Showcase 9244412
- 09/25/18--01:20: Das Rheingold, Royal Opera review - high drama and dark comedy
★★★★★ PROM 71, DIDONATO, TAMESTIT, ORR, GARDINER Concert Berlioz as bracing theatre
How do you make your mark in a crucial last week after the Olympian spectaculars of Kirill Petrenko's Proms with the Berlin Philharmonic?
★★★ ISOUARD'S CENDRILLON, BAMPTON CLASSICAL OPERA Stepsisters shine in fairy-tale bagatelle
Cinderella as opera in French: of late, the palm has always gone to Massenet's adorable (as in a-dor-Ah-bler) confection, and it should again soon when Glyndebourne offers a worthy home to the master's magic touch. The Cendrillon of Maltese-born honorary Parisian Nicolas Isouard, aka Nicolò, clearly had its day after the 1810 premiere, but it was eclipsed by Rossini's La Cenerentola coming along seven years later, and with good reason.